Working While Disabled in Richmond
Will I Lose My Benefits?
It’s a common misconception that you will automatically lose all your Social Security benefits if you return to work. If you are on disability and wish to return to work, you may be able to do so without losing benefits or having to re-apply for government assistance. To ensure that you are able to maintain your benefits and are meeting the expectations of the Social Security Administration (SSA), please call us.
At Harbison & Kavanagh, our Richmond Social Security disability attorneys can explain the various regulations associated with Social Security benefits and returning to work.
- We provide assistance in the following areas:
- Applying or renewing benefits
- SSI/SSD claims
If you decide that you want try going back to work, you should start off on a temporary or trial basis in case you discover you are unable to work full time due to your previous disability or injury. During this trial period, you may work for up to nine months and you can continue to receive your full benefits regardless of your income.
- To ensure that you maintain your benefits, you should:
- Contact the Social Security Administration (SSA) at the beginning and end of your employment.
- Provide SSA with a detailed list of your duties, responsibilities, and length of your shifts.
- Notify SSA if you have any expenses that relate to your employment or have come about due to your position.
You’ve Paid Your Dues
Over the course of your lifetime, a portion of your income has been set aside for Social Security purposes. At Harbison & Kavanagh, we believe that you shouldn’t fear trying to go back to work. If you are currently fighting with Social Security over your benefits, or have questions regarding working while receiving Social Security benefits, our Richmond Social Security disability lawyers are eager to help.
Let our team of legal professionals assist you, contact us at 804.888.8000 for a free consultation!
We proudly serve the residents of Richmond, Petersburg, Charlottesville,
Williamsburg, Norfolk, Virginia Beach, and the surrounding areas.