SSD / SSI Appeals Process in Richmond, VA
Seasoned Virginia Social Security Disability Attorneys
Finding out that your application for Social Security disability benefits or Supplemental Security Income has been denied can leave you feeling frustrated and confused. After spending countless hours filling out the paperwork and providing documentation for your application, the last thing you want to do is start the process over again. To avoid this, it is in your best interest to file an appeal and have you claim re-examined.
The federal government has a strict 60 day window to complete the appeal process and you need to follow certain steps to avoid having your claim automatically rejected. At Harbison & Kavanagh, our attorneys can help guide you through this process and ensure that you have the information necessary to file your appeal.
Our Richmond Social Security disability lawyers provide assistance in the following areas:
- Social Security disability appeals (SSDI)
- Supplemental Security income appeals (SSI)
60 Days Goes by Fast!
If your initial claim is denied, there are four stages to the appeal process that can be taken.
- The following are the four primary steps of the appeals process:
- Reconsideration: Your claim is resubmitted and evaluated by a new representative from the SSA (Social Security Administration). In this step, you can submit additional documents.
- ALJ (Administrative Law Judge) hearing: If your reconsideration decision is not favorable, the next step in the process is a hearing with an ALJ. You will have to appear and testify under oath before the ALJ.
- Appeals council: If you do not agree with the decision granted by the ALJ, you may further your appeal and request a review by the Social Security Appeals Council.
- Federal court: In the event that the three appeals have been attempted and you wish to appeal the decision further, you may be able to appeal your claim in Federal Court.
As you progress in the appeals process, it can become difficult to meet various expectations necessary to complete this process, which is why it’s extremely important that you obtain legal counsel. If you or a loved one is disabled, you shouldn’t have to worry about this. Let our legal team at Harbison & Kavanagh fight for your benefits.
For more information regarding the appeals process or to schedule a free consultation, contact our offices at 804.888.8000 today!
We proudly serve the residents of Richmond, Petersburg, Charlottesville,
Williamsburg, Norfolk, Virginia Beach, and the surrounding areas.