Workplace injury is best avoided with one practice: prevention. The National Safety Council has long celebrated June as National Safety Month, and in doing so, promotes safety practices in the workplace as essential to the wellbeing of workers everywhere. According to the 2014 Census of Fatal Occupational Injuries, CFOI, 2014 marked the highest number of workplace fatalities since 2008.
At Harbison & Kavanagh, we want to do our part to prevent these injuries and accidents from taking place. While our Richmond Social Security Disability lawyers will do all we can to help you following your injury, we don’t want anyone to be put that position in the first place.
The following are 5 key tips in preventing workplace injuries:
- Prevent slips, trips, and falls – You can do this by ensuring floors are clean, dry, and free of debris. As a worker, you can do your part by reporting and cleaning and spills or leaks you may find. Also, consider installing anti-slip flooring in places that are difficult to clean, such as those that are prone to oil or grease spills.
- Eliminate fire hazards – In some workplaces, combustibles are simply a part of the job. However, it is essential you keep these materials from accruing in the workspace, by properly disposing of them as often as possible. If any flammable liquid gets on your clothes, you should change your clothes immediately. Report any hazardous areas immediately.
- Prevent falling objects – Never place heavy items or materials overhead, and keep equipment away from the edges of tables and desks. Hazards should be moved to the side, especially during work hours.
- Use PPE – Personal protective equipment and tools can go a long way when used correctly. If you fail to wear the proper safety equipment, you are far more likely to experience cuts, bruises, scrapes, and burns from various materials.
- Create official rules – Have a written set of rules will help in a number of ways, as people will refer to these rules far more often. Encouraging people to follow proper protocol is essential in workplace injury prevention.
Contact Our Richmond SSD Lawyers Today
Our legal team at Harbison & Kavanagh is comprised of compassionate, committed, and results-driven individuals who have one goal in mind: our clients’ success and satisfaction. If you have suffered from a workplace injury and are now facing medical bills, loss of wages, and emotional distress as a result, our Richmond SSD lawyers have the resources, means, and energy to help. We want to help you move on from your accident or injury as seamlessly as possible.
Are you an injured worker? Contact us today by calling (804) 823-2050.